Hybrid high-level seminar
New EU AML/CTF supervision model:
expectations vs feasibility
Hosted by the ECA
16 September 2022, 9.00 a.m. - 1.30 p.m.
9.00 a.m. - 9.30 a.m.
Welcome address: ECA President, Klaus-Heiner Lehne
Opening speech: Ms Mairead McGuinness, Commissioner
9.30 a.m. – 11.00 a.m.
Part 1 “EU-level supervision and coordination – will the new setup be future-proof?” to cover the following:
- Progress with the new legislative package; key concerns of co-legislators
- Degree of future-proofing in the light of new developments (technology, market participants etc.)
- Will the legal setup be sufficient to counter threats from outside the EU?
- Will the new institutional responsibilities be implemented effectively?
Keynote address: Mr Stanislav Kouba, Deputy Minister for Taxes and Customs, Ministry of Finance, Czechia
Moderator: Mr Mihails Kozlovs, ECA Member, Dean of Chamber IV “Regulation of markets and competitive economy”
Ms Ramona Strugariu, Member of the European Parliament, Renew Europe Group
Ms Līga KĮaviņa, Deputy State Secretary for financial policy issues, Ministry of Finance, Latvia
Mr Jonathan Pampolina, Senior Counsel, Financial Integrity Group, IMF Legal Department
Ms Kateryna Boguslavska, Project Manager Basel AML Index, International Centre for Asset Recovery, Basel Institute on Governance
Mr Roger Kaiser, Senior Policy Adviser – Fiscal and Anti-Money Laundering, European Banking Federation
Ms Marilin Pikaro, Director of Innovation, Conduct and Consumers, EBA
Coffee break 11.00 a.m. - 11.20 a.m.
11.20 a.m. - 13.20 a.m.
Part 2 “Coordination and interaction among the new AML authority, national competent authorities, national banking supervisors, the ECB, the EBA and Financial intelligence units – a national level perspective; what is expected from the new setup? “ to cover:
- Assessment of the new proposed governance structure: will it be effective in terms of size/scope of supervised entities and powers?
- Supervisory co-operation between multiple national supervisors and one EU-level – how will it work in practice?
- Potential for compliance burden on industry with two levels of supervision
Moderator: Mr Karel Lannoo, CEPS
p.m. - 1.30 p.m.